Teacher – AUW Laboratory School
|AUW Laboratory School
Main Responsibilities of the Job:
Teachers are required to teach 5-6 sections of the subject area to an international student population. The School aims to provide an outstanding education in an international setting. Teachers are expected to plan lessons collaboratively, conduct assessments, track and report on student progress, and engage in continuous professional development. At AUW Laboratory School students study a curriculum that employs student-centered/international educational philosophy and teaching methods.
Summary of major job responsibilities:
- Teach 5-6 sections of subject area
- Prepare courses and coordinate and plan curriculum with other members of the department, and liaise with other departments as appropriate
- Act as a homeroom teacher/advisor to approximately 25 students
- Monitor and evaluate students’ progress
- Prepare for parent conferences, complete report cards, etc.
- Offer 1 homeroom activity per term
- Organize and participate in field trips
- Provide continuity of the students’ educational experience to allow smooth transitions
The statements below come from the AUW Laboratory School Teacher Evaluation and Professional teaching standards and reflect the proficient category within the rubric.
Planning and Preparation
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of the subject area, of pedagogy and resources available. This entails efforts to keep up to date in his/her field, encouraging students to pursue independent learning and being a good role model.
- Have good knowledge of students’ backgrounds, skills, and interests, which he/she applies to the planning and teaching of the instructional topic, including an understanding of pastoral responsibilities.
- Have effective classroom procedures designed to maximize time available for learning.
- Set clear standards of student conduct which are consistently maintained by the teacher, communicated to families when necessary.
- Guarantee a safe, inclusive and challenging environment that promotes positive interactions between the teacher and the students and among the student themselves, in which they (the students) assume an active role.
- Use instructional approaches (explanations, activities, discussions, instructional groupings, resources) that reflect clarity of purpose and engage students deeply in important content, accommodate different backgrounds and approaches to learning, and which are adjusted as needed to promote learning, resulting in student understanding.
- Provide a coherent instructional plan in which most elements (goals, activities, materials and resources, grouping of students) are in alignment and likely to engage students in meaningful learning, with suitable approaches for monitoring students’ learning.
- Show good standards of professional behavior at all times, honouring and respecting students and fellow colleagues.
- Demonstrate a leadership role in classroom, extracurricular, team, and departmental decision-making process.
- Exercise good skill in describing and analyzing his/her practice accurately, and in reflecting insightfully on it s implications for future teaching and for continued professional development.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records of student performance and progress, communicated to families accurately.
Teachers will also be responsible for delivering an advisory program to a homeroom class and also offer and lead extra-curricular activities.
Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree and teaching certification are required. Preference is given to those with advanced degrees, at least two years of experience in an accredited elementary or secondary school, and experience in teaching the specific subject area for which they are applying.
- Excellent computer skills and integration of technology into the curriculum
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Outstanding collaborative skills and a desire to work in a team-focused environment
- Enthusiastic willingness to participate in wider school life (extracurricular activities, coaching, club
- sponsorship, etc.)
- Possess the personal values that are aligned with our values and those of the International Baccalaureate
The following training is preferred:
- Elementary School – A teaching degree with a breadth of knowledge across all subject areas (Literacy, Math and Social Studies) and either early childhood or elementary education certification. Everyday Math teaching experience a plus.
- Middle School – Dual majors in two middle school subject areas or a major with strong minor. MYP teaching experience a plus
Compensation & other benefits: According to AUW policy.
Interested applicants should send their resume along with a cover letter detailing how their qualifications, skills, abilities and experience meet the specific requirements of the role, as outlined in the job description. Attach copy of educational certificates and name of at least 3 references.
Applicant must enclose his/her Photograph with CV. (Name & Contact Information) addressing to email@example.com. Please mention the position applied on the subject line. The review of applications will begin immediately. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.