Pro Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Asian University for Women (Chittagong, Bangladesh)
Asian University for Women has retained the executive search firm Isaacson, Miller in the recruitment. Please visit their website to learn more and to apply: https://www.imsearch.com/open-searches/asian-university-women/pro-vice-chancellor.
Asian University for Women (AUW) is a leading liberal arts and sciences institution of higher learning located in Chittagong, Bangladesh and founded in 2008. The University seeks to establish itself as the educational destination of choice for talented women from across the Asian continent and beyond, irrespective of their socio-economic background. AUW has a special mission to serve women from communities that have been historically disenfranchised or whose lives have been abruptly disrupted by civil war or political upheavals, and to offer them a world-class education. Its admissions and financial assistance policies are framed in such a way as to provide every opportunity for those who demonstrate outstanding academic and leadership potential. An extensive foundation program provides support and training to ensure that all AUW students, regardless of their prior access to educational opportunities, are fully prepared for academic success. In the later stages of their studies, students carry out their own research projects and regularly publish research papers with their teachers. As an antidote to the rising trend of narrow identity politics and nationalist exclusivity, AUW has since its foundation educated women from 19 countries across the region, representing over 35 linguistic groups and diverse religious traditions. Its undergraduate programs offer degrees in (i) Politics, Philosophy, & Economics; (ii) Economics; (iii) Environmental Sciences; (iv) Public Health; and (v) Bioinformatics. Additional programs in Computer Sciences and Humanities (combining History, Literature, Religion & Philosophy) are planned to be introduced in the fall of 2024. Graduate programs include a two-year Master of Arts Program in Education, and a Master of Science in Apparel and Retail Management which begins in 2023. AUW is chartered by the Parliament of Bangladesh and is in the process of advancing its application for accreditation with the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). AUW has sent more graduates to leading universities around the world than any other university in Bangladesh. A state-of-art the two million square feet of campus, including a wide range of modern laboratory, classroom and residential buildings, is under construction on a 140-acre plot. The campus includes sustainable ecological features and has been designed by leading architect Moshe Safdie to provide a modern, sustainable and attractive environment for learning.
AUW is seeking a Pro-Vice Chancellor to whom the Vice Chancellor will assign the role of the University’s Chief Academic Officer. The Pro-Vice Chancellor is expected to:
- a) lead the creation of the new academic programs that are envisaged for AUW’s third decade;
- b) initiate significant qualitative improvements in the delivery of existing projects and programs, and thereby ensure consistent academic quality and standards in AUW’s unique brand of overall excellence in line with accepted international benchmarks;
- c) recruit high-calibre faculty for both existing and new programs, and promote creative, effective and blended ways of learning, teaching and researching in this unique multicultural residential academic environment;
- d) promote cutting-edge research and innovation that can be of benefit to Asian countries and ensure that AUW education is informed by current research;
- e) ensure that Equality, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion are integrated into all aspects of educational policies, curricula and practices at AUW; and
- f) continue to implement effective strategies for curricular opportunities to develop student ethics, skills, entrepreneurship, service, as well as employability in an array of employment sectors.
The Pro Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs is expected to be an outstanding scholar with a
demonstrated record as a thoughtful and vigorous academic leader with an ability to translate bold ideas into reality. She or he will be an inspiring proponent of liberal arts and sciences learning in Asia, able to articulate and promote the vision and mission of AUW internationally and to build an on-campus culture that is creative and collaborative.
Nominations and applications with a complete cv and at least three references should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.