Assistant Professor in the General Education Program
The Asian University for Women seeks to appoint an Assistant Professor to the Undergraduate General Education Program. The successful candidate will have demonstrable expertise in Writing and Composition and will be expected to teach writing and composition courses as appropriate. Expertise and teaching experience in a humanities discipline (including but not limited to Literature or History) will also be an advantage.
She/he will be also expected to play an active role in University service, for example, in administrative roles in relation to research and/or teaching.
The term of the appointment will be for 3 years, renewable for a further period, subject to satisfactory performance.
AUW values diversity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from candidates who share that vision.
- A doctorate in Writing and Composition or a related field, from a recognized university.
- Demonstration of effective teaching in Writing and Composition
- Knowledge and understanding of the latest research in writing pedagogy
- Track record of research of international excellence
- Ability and willingness to teach students whose native language is not English
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to teach in Literature or History or other humanities discipline
- Experience or interest working in Asia
- Experience or interest working at women’s colleges
- Plan, develop, and teach courses for undergraduate students.
- Serve as academic advisor and mentor to students.
- Attract funding and engage in research.
- Provide service on academic committees
Teaching requirements: Six 4-credit courses per academic year on topics to be decided in consultation with Program Head.
About the General Education Program
The AUW General Education Requirement is an integral part of the liberal arts and sciences education experience for students. It is designed to offer students breadth of knowledge across disciplines and exposure to diverse modes of thinking across different subject areas, including Writing Seminars. Students are required to complete 44 credits (normally 11 courses) in the general education curriculum, which they complete in their first (and part of their second) undergraduate year.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach courses in the Writing Seminars area but may also offer courses in the other areas, and possibly in AUW’s majors.
About the Asian University for Women:
AUW is a multicultural liberal arts university located in Chittagong, Bangladesh, with students from nineteen countries across Asia and the Middle East. Its mission is to graduate women who will be skilled and innovative professionals, service-oriented leaders in the communities in which they will work and live, and promoters of intercultural understanding and sustainable development in Asia and throughout the world. The university is dedicated to teaching excellence in a liberal arts setting, with a strong commitment to research and scholarly engagement. Further information about AUW is available at https://asian-university.org.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, CV, and the names of three references, along with a teaching statement, research statement, and diversity statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31, 2023. Applicants should write clearly in bold the position to which they are applying. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.