University | News
EVENTS
Child Psychologist Dr. Leslie Rescorla of Bryn Mawr College Visits AUW
Chittagong, Bangladesh
7, Mar, 2017

March 7, 2017, Chittagong, Bangladesh – Asian University for Women (AUW) announced today a recent visit to AUW by Dr. Leslie Rescorla, Professor of Psychology and Director of the Child Study Institute at Bryn Mawr College.

Dr. Rescorla’s visit to AUW marks a strengthening of ties between women’s universities in Asia and the United States. For over a century, emerging women leaders have attended Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania (USA) to receive a world-class education and to make meaningful contributions to the world. Likewise, AUW draws women of uncommon academic capability and leadership potential to germinate a network of women leaders who will address some of the most pressing issues of the day with innovative and bold solutions. At both AUW and Bryn Mawr, women are connected to ideas, opportunities, and to one another; Dr. Rescorla’s visit to AUW is an occasion which connects women across institutions and continents for the betterment of all.

 

During her visit to AUW, Dr. Rescorla shared her expertise of child psychology, language acquisition, and empirical methods which reliably assess emotional and behavioral abnormalities across disparate communities. “You can’t have a science of human behavior without studying people of different societies. By using the same research instruments across societies, we can achieve reliable and robust results,” she explained.

Dr. Rescorla introduced students to the Achenbach System of Empirically Based Assessment (ASEBA), which has been translated into more than 100 languages for the purpose of maintaining consistent collection and assessment of psychological competencies; adaptive functioning; and behavioral, emotional, and social abnormalities among children and adults. The ASEBA has allowed Dr. Rescorla and her colleagues to compare findings across diverse societies such as Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, and Estonia. Interestingly, they have identified greater psychological variation within societies than among different societies. “The items reported for preschoolers in one society are very similar to other societies,” she shared.

 

Students specializing in Public Health at AUW were intrigued by the potential application of Dr. Rescorla’s research in their home countries. Choney Dema from Bhutan is keen to use the ASEBA language development instrument to study language delays among children in Bhutan. Linh Ngo from Vietnam considered the importance of introducing this research to her home country. “Parents in Vietnam do not see language delay in children as a problem. Many families are focused more on meeting basic needs such as food and shelter. Nevertheless, under the guidance of Professor Rescorla and other AUW faculty, I have confidence that I can make a difference in Vietnam with this research,” Linh shared.

About Asian University for Women (AUW)

Asian University for Women is a regional and international university based in Chittagong, Bangladesh. It draws women of uncommon academic capability and leadership potential from across Asia and the Middle East. It focuses particularly, but not exclusively, on identifying talent from among the most neglected populations and bringing them to the highly multi-cultural residential community of its campus. AUW offers students a flexible preparatory course on English, Math, and technology topics prior to their matriculation into a high quality liberal arts and sciences program. AUW seeks to germinate and develop a widening network of women leaders who will address some of the most pressing issues of the day with innovative and bold solutions.

There are about 600 students from 15 countries currently attending AUW. The vast majority of AUW students are the first in their family to attend university, and virtually all receive full scholarships.

Since opening its doors in 2008, AUW has graduated four classes totaling approximately 425 students. About 80% of AUW graduates pursue employment in their home countries immediately after graduation while the remaining 20% attend graduate school internationally.  AUW graduates or other former students have pursued or are currently enrolled in graduate studies in a range of institutions including Oxford, Stanford, Columbia, Brandeis, and Ewha (South Korea). Graduates have gone into careers with organizations such as Chemists without Borders, Room to Read, Teach for Nepal, Accenture, Chevron Bangladesh, and Democracy International.

To learn more about Asian University for Women, please visit http://asian-university.org/.